Vanilla Poppy Seed Cupcakes with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
These are the cupcakes I served at my Sparkle Party for my birthday. The lemon zest in the cream cheese frosting really highlighted the vanilla and poppy seeds in the cupcakes.
AND they were fabulous with champagne! :)
Vanilla Poppy Seed Cupcakes
Makes approx. 36 mini-cupcakes
12 Tbsp Butter, unsalted, room temp
1 1/4 cup Sugar
2 1/2 cups High-Altitude Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
3/4 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1 cup Skim Milk
1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
1 1/2 Tbsp Poppy Seeds
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare cupcake pan with liners.
2. Cream butter and sugar in mixer until smooth and light.
3. Mix in eggs, one at a time.
4. Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add 1/3 to bowl, and mix.
5. Add vanilla to milk. Add 1/2 to bowl, and mix.
6. Add 1/3 flour mixture and mix. Add rest of milk mixture and mix. Add rest of flour and mix well until all combined.
7. Fold, or gently mix in poppy seeds.
8. Bake 6-9 minutes.
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
1 stick Butter, unsalted, room temp
4 ounces Light Cream Cheese, room temp
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
2-3 cups Confectioner's Sugar
zest from 1 large lemon
Cream butter and cream cheese in mixer until smooth. Add vanilla. Slowly add sugar to taste. Use 3 cups if you like your icing sweeter. Add zest.